Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress, finally.

alrighty,

im working on my first map, finally. i have a ton of experience with CSG operations now, and im comfortable with the unreal scale, adding and subtracting, intersecting, and altering/clipping brushes. i still get a little confused sometimes with creating my own Red Brush, but im progressing.

however, i have little to no experience in texturing and lighting, but more importantly, zoning, static meshes, and actors. not to mention movers, which i wont even look at now.

all i want to know is how long it took some of you to get used to all these things. i only really started UED on thursday, and i feel like ive come a long way since. were there any bumps you guys had on the way? any particular thing i should know?

oh yeah, and when im finished with my first map, DM-Drain, ill have it up on unrealplayground for you to try.
    "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

dont use the "1-unit" grid size when building basic stuff. 4 is small enough. Make multiple saves of your work, before difficult or important changes. Check for BSP or HOM after adding new architecture. The earlier u find such errors the easier to fix them. Look at other levels, thats sometimes more helpful than any "manual"
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

Comment

some of the tut mappers prefer to just build the map and fix bsp holes afterwards as sometimes the bsp holes dissapear along the way.
      As to the other things BirraBrothers and Wiki are the only way to go. (Birra for starters and Wiki for advanced stuff).
      And it only took me over a year to get to know UEd better
      [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

I made the experience that its easier to check if new architecture is unproblematic for the map. All my BSP i ever had i were able to fix by just redoing crappy mapped new parts. Btw im not so sure if that "dissapearing" is so good. I prefer to have a 100 percent clean map to build on. Ya never know, u have an error u dont quite take care of...it seems to be gone..and later it has a comeback three times bigger than before :grin:

(i dont know how long i took to learn UED...but although i had no Internet back then it wasnt that difficult. After 2-3 average/crappy Maps which never gone public for good reasons ( ) i had the hang of it )
        My leet Thievery Map
        My leet UT3 Map
        My leet AS Map

Comment

I like the 'ignore, and then throw something on top of it later' method for dealing with BSP holes. TH-Train had one that engulfed two cars of the train; I ignored it, kept building, and it went away...
          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

^^
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

On the other hand, th-pirates has BSP holes that uterly destry the sails, and sometimes kill anyone who strays too near. They're really stubborn, and i can't use ans 'send to last' tricks there.
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                On the other hand, th-pirates has BSP holes that uterly destry the sails, and sometimes kill anyone who strays too near. They're really stubborn, and i can't use ans 'send to last' tricks there.
                You'll need meshes to do complex stuff like sails.

Comment

how bout arranging several sheet-brushes to make a sail? (like rotating them a bit and give em "humps n bumps" to avoid looking it too flat)

like this :

/
                  \
                  /
                  \

sideview, looks dumb but u know what i wanna say eh? ^^

(could be done with 2D-Shape Editor too - although this solution is not recommended, coz it would probably eat a lot of performance)
                  My leet Thievery Map
                  My leet UT3 Map
                  My leet AS Map

Comment

I tried that, and gives the best performance, and it's what i'm using now.
                    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

oh my god, replies!

i lost faith in you guys.
                      "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

Originally posted by [bulletproof
                        ]alrighty,

however, i have little to no experience in texturing and lighting, but more importantly, zoning, static meshes, and actors. not to mention movers, which i wont even look at now.

Im still a noob in ured, but its all pretty simple once you find a decient tut.
                        I used a combination of the tuts here and UT mapping tuts. + all the vets here are very helpful.
                        One tip when dealing with movers (as this caused me a lot of angish) is dont scale the brush, Rights click and build the size rather than scale it.

Comment

movers can be a pain, but f you mess up, it's usually best jsutot start over. otherwise you get these wierd size-changing movers. Fun for 'impossible' effects like that screensaver wiht the flower, but useless for doors.

Comment

Working...
                          X