coding stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coding stuff

Now that exams have finished and I have all summer to sit on my ass I can start playing around with some mutators. I'm just interested as to what IDE's (UnrealEd seems to be more useful for mapping than for coding) you guys use to compile/build your code?

I use Notepad and the command line. But that's because I'm "l33t", "hardcore", and "insane".

Comment

Well I'm using UnrealEd for now but I'm finding it keeps crashing on me. It crashes when I compile through the command line, when I don't, even when I browse some of the classes. There must be an easier way...

Comment

I use UEd and it works just fine :grin:
        ]V[]V[

Comment

I use Microsoft Visual Studio 5.0

A really good scripting resource is http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki
          It explains how to set up your scripting environment. Don't use UEd - you need to be able to see and set default values for all properties (which UED doesn't let you do).
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

UGH!

Immortius I feel your pain...

Comment

There was i time that i used Use (Unreal Script Editor) made by Carbone.
              It's an external script editor, and it's look like the official script editor in unrealed
              (But you can't get an updated file of this, from the net annymore )
              (I will ask darkproject to host this, later on the day)
              Working on TH-Haven, the first singleplayer (and coِp) missionpack for thievery.
              Get more info about it on http://freyk0.tripod.com

Comment

Originally posted by Omega
                UGH!

Immortius I feel your pain...
                Pain? Visual studio works great! Especially when you convince it the Unreal Script is actually C/C++, and it automatically colours the code correctly.
                Immortius' Forge

Comment

Stupid question really, but will save me time...

Is there an actor class hierarchy containing the classes introduced in thievery? I'm sure the IDE you mentioned would produce something of the sort.

(I'm still using NotePad and the command line)

:wink:

Comment

wish i had the patience for coding.....

ah well back then when i still had my C64, i used Basic to make a programm which said something like "You are a stupid asshole" when one typed something.....but this doesnt count i guess
                    My leet Thievery Map
                    My leet UT3 Map
                    My leet AS Map

Comment

I've been fooling around with a few mods, one I did today seems somewhat useful despite the fact immortius has pretty much already been there and done it.

Anyway, its a anti kill/ko mod which basically achieves the same thing as immorts except that its configureable (of course only the admin can do this). You can switch different parts of the mod on and off whilst in the game and modify some variables. Its a ghoster's delight, and a dmers nightmare I guess (unless you're willing to shead some health :p). Of course you won't catch me ever in server while this things up and running :lol: .

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
                        Don't use UEd - you need to be able to see and set default values for all properties (which UED doesn't let you do).
                        Since when? Right-clicking on class always worked for me.
                        ]V[]V[

Comment

oooh btw if some of u coding people have some spare time i could still need some help with TH-Cult ^^ (nokill-objective, making sliths more guard-like, maybe making some general objectives)
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                            Originally posted by immortius
                            Don't use UEd - you need to be able to see and set default values for all properties (which UED doesn't let you do).
                            Since when? Right-clicking on class always worked for me.
                            You can only set the variables declared with var() this way - not the ones declared with just var. Which is a pain, as (for instance) the essential variable linking the different crossbow types with their bolts is hidden in this way. In fact, quite a few variables are like this.

Originally posted by Impulse
                            Is there an actor class hierarchy containing the classes introduced in thievery? I'm sure the IDE you mentioned would produce something of the sort.
                            Not exactly. Because classes contained in the base UT packages cannot be changed (you should never change a class in an existing package in fact) the different Thievery classes are tacked on to the end of the appropriate branches of the existing class tree - ThObjects under Decorations, ThPawn under Pawn, etc. One of the few weaknesses of my IDE is that the classes are sorted by package rather than by inheritance, but I don't find this too bothersome. I recommending having a brief look at the inheritance tree in UEd's actor menu at some stage though, just to get a bit of a feel for it.
                            Immortius' Forge

Comment

If something is declared 'var()', I set it through UEd, if something is declared 'var', I set it through 'PostBeginPlay()'. Any 'var' that needs a default setting is a design fault IMO.
                              ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                              X