Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Th-excavation. 100 and 1 Questions

Hey ppl,
    TH-excavation is almost done. However i'm going to need help to finish it. So rather than Post 100 topics for each question i have ill put them all here (you guys would have nothing to do without my noob questions to answer)

So i'll get straight into the ones i have at the moment.

1) Silly guards. I have set up some guards, patrol points, labled the points and set the guards orders to patrol. However the guards just stand around. Do i need to put some path nodes near the patrol points to get them to work?

2)Door textures. No matter what i do the door textures seam to come out as the defult bubbles texture in to game, Even through i have the Properties-display-texture set to a door texture

3)much of the light in the map comes from 'Holes' In the roof that lead to the surface (the entire map is underground). How could i get a good shaft-of-light effect

4ish) Any susgestions for anything stylish/funny to include in the map?

The map is set in castle that sunk into the earth several year ago in a massive earth quake. About one year ago a team set out to excavate it but after months of digging the project was suddenly cancled and guards sent in to secure the half excavated ruins. To a theif this means only one thing, that somthing valuable was found.
    Theif objectives are, steal X amount of loot
    Find the Jornal of the head arceologist or cheif of guard
    If anything valuable is mention, make it yours

5) who wants a guard named after them?

1.) Not sure. Did you set the patrol name in the bot properties?

2.) I posted some proof Steps to make a Door in the Thread "Door rotation defects". Check you did everything right.

3.) I think a tutorial for such "custom light beams" is on 3D-Buzz.com

4.) Umm....no idea...let the maps concept guide you. For example...on a sea map a civilian acting like a pirate would be funny...some custom skins and "ARRRR"-shouting...maybe...hell i fear your on your own with that :wink:
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

Comment

1) And also in TBot did you set it from "Guard Here" to "Patrol" . Becuase if you didn't they will just stand there.

2) I'm sure you did already but did you right click the door - Mover>ShowPolys ?

3) You might get away with using light boxes- i *think* they're in under decoration. (look at the upstairs of folly overlooking the front door to see what light boxes are like).

4) Be careful with custom voice packs because they can add to the file size in a big way. Also my suggestions can be seen on the "Some weapons I coded" thread :grin:

5) hmm no thanks Though a funny guard name would be "GRRRRR" what do you think Schleicher ? :lol: :grin:
      [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

You spelt the name wrong! Thats one "R" too much!

Hmm actually i would prefer having a prefab boulder named like me
        My leet Thievery Map
        My leet UT3 Map
        My leet AS Map

Comment

1) give them a patrolpoint name under Orders Tag (right below Orders, which should be set to Patrol) They'll follow the red lines from that point.

2) using the properties menu never workee for me. Instead of going to the properties, click on mover-->show polys when you r-click on it.

3)Hmm.. hard one.. if the hole is small, try playing around with the LightBox actor (it's some UT lighting thing). Or a fog zone .

4)Yeah, use Chief's dagger for a buyable thing. (though it needs a little tweaking first)

5) OH! OH! OH! MEMEME! PLEEEZ??
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

copy cat Rad :lol: By fog did you mean true fog? if so you can only use it in areas with no shadows, because it makes thieves 100% visible. 8)

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Originally posted by Bane
              Hey ppl,
              TH-excavation is almost done.
              I'm not an expert mapper, but I heard Dalai say something like that your map isn't a finished map until you test it online. Might want to get a crew of testers to help you with that.

1 - Is your map giving out a fun challenge? Check that!
              2 - Does your map contain nasty bugs?
              3 - Is your map balanced? <-- one of the most important IMO
              4 - Is the map fun to walk in? You know, the eye candies. If your map doesn't have any details it also breaks the gameplay, since the player cannot improvise with his environment. Helps with making the map less linear every time.

Hope you're gonna bring us something new and fun.
              JM

Comment

Regarding the custom light-cone, this should work :

1. First create a fitting light-cone shape (with 2D-shape editor or the normal builderbrush and a bit of reshaping)

2. Click on "Add special Brush" and set those values : in "Prefab" use "Transparent window" then check the boxes "Masked", "2-sided", "Transparent" (uncheck others). Solidity is "Nonsolid"

3. Add the brush using the texture : "GenFX->Gradient->fibrest", align if needed(the only good one i can think of for this chase right now) and set all to "unlit"

4.Now just place the light somewhere inside the cone where it looks good and that should do it
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like you've given me enough ideas to keep me busy today

In regards to the bot patrol. I found the answer in an old post (i know, i should have looked there first, i was just eager) My Patrol points were over 700 units apart. A path node in between them fixed the problem.

For the door textures and lights, i'm about to try everything that has been susgested. I didn't know any of it (all of my theivery mapping knowldege is from the offline mapping docs)

In reply to chief
                  One guard named Grrrr Coming up, or was that a rock?

In Reply to Radamanthus
                  Good Guard name, Radamanthus. You'll have to wait and see what Guard Radamanthus is up to.
                  Also thats a good idea using some of Chiefs new weapons, I'll Download them and give the a try but i wont include anything to unbalanced.

In Reply to Lurox
                  Good points
                  *No bugs as of yet, fingers crossed
                  *I'm not sure how the map balance will work. I'm worried the light may be unbalnced (to dark in some areas to bright in others) however testing will settle that, and lighting is easy enough to tweak. If the design of the map proves to be unbalanced, i'll adjust loot needed, objective item spawn locations, and number of AI unitil it is balanced.
                  *Well i enjoy walking around my map but then again it is my baby But yes, im adding more and more details (caved in hallways, Broken support beams, windows that only open to walls of dirt, Holes in the roof, ect) I'm aiming that in every 'room' there is a reminder that you are underground
                  "Hope you're gonna bring us something new and fun." me too

Ill post again in a few hours to let y'all know how i went with the lights, new weapons, the doors, and probally more questions

Comment

that means none of my weapons will be used I made them pretty balanced, by limiting the amounts you can buy :wink:

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Its a rock! Try to KO THAT pesky Thieves!
                      My leet Thievery Map
                      My leet UT3 Map
                      My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Schleicher
                        Its a rock! Try to KO THAT pesky Thieves!
                        Hahahahah

I tried the new scripts, I'm going to make a new optional objective to utalize some of them.
                        Both teams can find a key (random spawn) that unlocks the castles armory "The Chief's stash". Containing a small supply of Guard/theif decoy, water/fire/Crack bombs.
                        It'll give the guards somthing to do while waiting for a theif to show himself.

Its pretty much a copy, paste affair to get the scipts onto my map, right?

Comment

Load up my th-scripts map.

Now do not close UEd, open up your map.

You will find my weapons in the actor browser under Actor>Inventory>Weapons>TournamentWeapon>ThieveryW eapon

and.....

Actor>Inventory>Pickups>ThieveryPickup

then just select and add as you normally would for things. All textures and code will automatically go into your map 8)

All the bombs are subclasses of the flashbomb.

The new invisibility potion is called PotionPoison

The power sword and dagger subclasses from the main sword.

The light weight mace subclasses from the mace.

I don't know whether you were going to use any of those (like the dagger etc) but if you do you now know where to find them

Once the items are on the map, Build All and save. (I suggest you have a backup of your map before this incase something goes wrong on build all and destroys the map)

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

****note: this works on any MyLevel actor class, texture, mesh, sound, or music file. Including that funny "HO WANTZ TO PALY THIEVARY!!!!" texture in Spider.****
                            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                            X