X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Th-Airship Needs YOU!!!

Well... maybe...

A brief history...
    Th-Airship originally stalled in production because I decided that then was the time I was going to add a load of custom furniture, which I was going to model myself. After much kerfuffle and time, I managed to produce my first model, a pianola, which Cythe kindly skinned for me. You can check it out here if you wish.
    I then started working on an appropriate light fixture (my version, source image). My final attempt at modelling was a standard lamp and a doorknob which never even got skinned. By this point I was frustrated by various problems with getting the pianola and ceiling light actually into the map and working properly - the pianola's collision cylinder center was for some reason stuck down the bottom of the model, and the light refused to be "lit" - also, the textures I had used for the light were very low quality (ripped from the original source image and shape manipulated in photoshop). I stopped working on the map and started on Th-Tower. Then real life and other projects got involved and I had no time for any mapping.

The present...
    I've started working on Th-Airship again, and will possibly move on to finishing Th-Tower afterward. I'm going to avoid making the same mistakes again (namely getting bogged down trying to learn 3D Studio and all the other wizardry the rest of the TUT team seem to be able to manage). If anyone in the community wants to help me out by fixing the problems with the pianola, the lights and the doorknob, and then maybe doing some other custom models for me (ho ho ho, be careful if you agree to THAT!), send me a PM. There WILL be a Th-Airship available for play at some point, with or without custom models, I just thought I'd throw it open to maybe get some community help.
    Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
    :: Howard Scott

those are nice models, i like the doorknob. sorry but i dont know anything about that stuff, so i wouldnt be any help.
    This is my cool sig.

Comment

OMG HE MADE A PLAYER PIANO!!!

nice models. not bad at all.

I'm no master of models, but if you find any good UT2K3 stuff that has anything interesiting, you can port it over by converting to a mesh, then to a dxf, then to ued 2.

just a little advice if you find something cool a little too hard to recreate....
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Hm did ya try to use some ICH's instead of the piano's collision hull?

PS : 3D-Modeling is EVIL! If im gonna make some NB-Maps ill stick to plain good ol BSP and only use the meshes the NB-Dev's provide (which will be many i hope ). Mebbe ill use the built in converter to transform some of the more complex brushes ill eventually make (like the lava-keg in Cult or those horns), but nothing in the world will motivate me to waste my time with 3d-max or the like (besides i dont have the 1 Million Dollars that shit costs ^^).
        My leet Thievery Map
        My leet UT3 Map
        My leet AS Map

Comment

Yup - I've used ICHs to block out the shape of the pianola, but to make it frobbable it needs a collision cylinder, and making that "tall" enough to reach the top of the pianola (or even just the keys) meant having it extended down through the floor into the cargo bays :p

Edit: As it turns out I seem to have misplaced the doorknob model *sigh* The plan was to have it as a seperate frobbable object linked to a static camera on the other side, letting people peek through keyholes (with an appropriate keyhole-shaped mask, obviously).
          Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
          :: Howard Scott

Comment

Mebbe just place a switch inside the piano model and expand its collision cylinder. That way u could use the ICH and still have something frobbable u could link triggers to.

(theoretical, means i havent actually tried something like that, but i think it should work)

Btw : Peeking? Nice :grin:
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

Hey Mord, ya do know that UT mesh models are supposed to be centered on the world origin in Max, right? If you stick their base level with the origin, instead of centering them on it, the collision cylinder will be stuck at the bottom.

Static meshes are GREAT. You can do all sorts of groovy things with them, and never have to worry about bsp holes.

For example, a map I've made for UT2k4, a conversion of Halo's Blood Gulch: it has only 2 brushes (the skybox and the main subtract to hold the level), 3 major structural static meshes (the cliffs, and the 2 bases), and one terrain sheet. That's it. If I had tried to do something like this using only BSP I'd have hit major bsp holes and a supremely long rebuild time for the map. Using static meshes reduces rebuild time down to only 5 seconds for lighting and geometry (the pathnodes take forever though. 2k4 has a horribly long rebuild time for those).

Here's a screenshot: http://www.boomspeed.com/microwave/Shot00002.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Microwave Oven
                For example, a map I've made for UT2k4, a conversion of Halo's Blood Gulch:
                mmm

Originally posted by immort
                Hmmm... reminds me of Blood Gulch...
                ahhh

[edit:] ITS BEEN DELETED OMG DO I LOOK THE IDIOT ORRR [email protected]
                -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                -YT

Comment

Originally posted by FixXxeR
                  Originally posted by Microwave Oven
                  For example, a map I've made for UT2k4, a conversion of Halo's Blood Gulch:
                  mmm

Originally posted by immort
                  Hmmm... reminds me of Blood Gulch...
                  ahhh
                  Damn it! I thought I got rid of that before anyone had seen it! Hey, I DID delete it before you posted!

Look, what would you prefer me to spend my time doing: coding, or reading the forums carefully?
                  Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by Schleicher
                    PS : 3D-Modeling is EVIL! If im gonna make some NB-Maps ill stick to plain good ol BSP and only use the meshes the NB-Dev's provide (which will be many i hope )
                    the problem with that is that UED3 doesn't like BSP. not at all.

par exemple, i have 8 BSP brushes. i have 28 holes.

and yes, there area whole lot of static meshes in the mappingpack alone, and to edit a few of those, all you need is to be able to use the 3D vertex editing.

sorry.. OT...
                    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                      par exemple, i have 8 BSP brushes. i have 28 holes.
                      WTF have you done with those brushes?!!? Unless you made some sick complex custom made bsp brushes there is no way you will have that many BSP holes with that brushes without having done something EXTREMLY wrong.

and yes, there area whole lot of static meshes in the mappingpack alone, and to edit a few of those, all you need is to be able to use the 3D vertex editing.
                      You can edit the vertex's of a static mesh. You are only able to resize it, and reskin it.... And if you try and convert static meshs into bsp brushes to edit their vertexes, it's no wonder you got tons of BSP holes...

Comment

I don't think I would be able to help with anything here... but I do want to encourage you to keep working.

Thievery needs more missions!

Comment

Getting 28 BSP-Holes outta 8 Brushes must be some kind of rekord ^.^

I may be wrong here, but when playing DX:IW it didnt seem to me like it had many Static Meshes used for main parts of level structure, same with the Thief 3 screenshots and videos as far as i can tell...they mostly seem to have decorative function. I simply hesitate to believe one cant build good levels without shitloads of static meshes.

But mebbe im just outdated and old....STATIC MESHES! ARRR! NEW AGE CRAP!

*falls asleep*
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

Working...
                          X