Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed on ThDoors... mostly doors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed on ThDoors... mostly doors...

Hi everyone!

I would like to know the following...

1. How can I have a ThDoor broadcast an event whenever they are opened or closed?

2. Why is it that when I create a subclass of Mover, copy all the code from ThDoor into it, change a dozen of lines, I can no longer use it as a ThDoor? I can't frob it.

Please help! My map depends on it!

Thx in advance,
    Kael
    "Nosce te ipsum et quies cortuum assequeris"

Originally posted by Kael
    Hi everyone!

I would like to know the following...

1. How can I have a ThDoor broadcast an event whenever they are opened or closed?

2. Why is it that when I create a subclass of Mover, copy all the code from ThDoor into it, change a dozen of lines, I can no longer use it as a ThDoor? I can't frob it.

Please help! My map depends on it!

Thx in advance,
    Kael
    1. Add a Trigger>SpecialEvent with Object>InitialState set to DisplayMessage.
    Set SpecialEvent >bBroadcast to True.
    Input your message in SpecialEvent>Message (I like my being a cheese)

2. The famous error: You have made A Big Mess!

Comment

Oh dear, this doesn't sound like a good idea, what exactly are you trying to change?

I have no idea what the situation is, but it would be surely easier to subclass ThDoor instead & overwrite ther functions that you are changing. That way, the mover will still be identified as a ThDoor, due to being a subclass.

(I suspect the Thievery base-code has a few built-in checks involving frobs: i.e. is the selected object a ThDoor?)

Comment

Originally posted by LegalAssassin
        1. Add a Trigger>SpecialEvent with Object>InitialState set to DisplayMessage.
        Set SpecialEvent >bBroadcast to True.
        Input your message in SpecialEvent>Message (I like my being a cheese)

2. The famous error: You have made A Big Mess!
        Hi!

1. It appears that this is what I need to broadcast a text message and not an event. That was not what I wished. Thx anyway, cause I didn't know this.

2. That does not appear to be a constructive comment, but if it makes you happy... Anyway, why is it a big mess when I can revert to any stage of development? I was careful enough about it...

Bye,
        Kael

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
          Oh dear, this doesn't sound like a good idea, what exactly are you trying to change?

I have no idea what the situation is, but it would be surely easier to subclass ThDoor instead & overwrite ther functions that you are changing. That way, the mover will still be identified as a ThDoor, due to being a subclass.

(I suspect the Thievery base-code has a few built-in checks involving frobs: i.e. is the selected object a ThDoor?)
          Ok...
          PROBLEM:
          I need to create a subclass of ThDoor for it to work with a modified version of a CodeMaster.
          The new version, works directly with ThDoors and doesn't need CodeTriggers in between.
          I need to add the code necessary to perform the CodeTrigger functions to the ThDoor.

FACTS:
          Dalai had told me that a subclass of ThDoor won't be "addable" through the "Add Mover" button, only a direct subclass of Mover.
          THAT was why I created a subclass of Mover, copy the whole code into it and change the lines.

I could create a subclass of ThDoor (since there appears to already be one, even though it can only be added using the "console" command: ADDMOVER etc etc), however when I did so, the object wasn't frobable.

ALTERNATIVE:
          Use the different CodeMaster
          Change the CodeTriggers
          HOWEVER...
          I still need a way to somehow detect that a ThDoor was opened or closed.

That was why I asked those two questions.

Can someone help me?
          Please?
          Pretty please?

*makes small sad puppy face*

Cya,
          Kael

Comment

FACTS:
            Dalai had told me that a subclass of ThDoor won't be "addable" through the "Add Mover" button, only a direct subclass of Mover.
            THAT was why I created a subclass of Mover, copy the whole code into it and change the lines.
            With all due respect to Dalai, have you actually tried subclassing ThDoor?

Microwave Oven's ThDoor2 is a subclass of ThDoor & works fine.

Comment

I could create a subclass of ThDoor (since there appears to already be one, even though it can only be added using the "console" command: ADDMOVER etc etc), however when I did so, the object wasn't frobable.
              Maybe I did something wrong??

Any more ideas?

I'll try it again, but please make some more suggestions...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
                Microwave Oven's ThDoor2 is a subclass of ThDoor & works fine.
                Btw... where is that?
                In which map?

=)

Comment

Working...
                X