How big should it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big should it be?

I am a little worried about the size of my map. Right now it is drafted within an area of about 300ft x 600ft x 120ft. I am afraid that its just too big. How long does it take a thief to run 600ft? I looked at a couple of maps for reference, and they seem to be much smaller in comparison. So how big should a map be?

Kiech
    Kiech

How long is a piece of string?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
      Cryptic postwhoring replies... :?
      Kiech

Comment

What's the size of your map in Unreal Units? Generally, it shouldn't take too long at all to run from one end to the other. Performance wise, you can make a pretty big map if you zone it right and can't see too much from any point. But that would be bad for TUT because thieves tend to own guards in big maps and people get lost. The way I look at it is that they should be arenas that happen to look like mansions or cities or whatever.
        (AKA Dresden)
        Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
          Cryptic postwhoring replies... :?
          No, another way of saying "How big do you need it to be?"

Comment

I am not worried about anyone getting lost, since I have a good, and 'symetrical' layout. DMing I am not too worried about too much on this map, since guards will get the chance to move AI before the thieves break in...and saves the thieves from being spawnraped. I think I have camping covered too, since there are going to be several important areas to protect. I am a little worried about zoning and the 'backdrop'. Most of the area I am using is 'outside' which is why it is so big. Ahh, well my question is answered.

Thanks!

Kiech
            Kiech

Comment

Are the spawns protected as well? Looks like you have a lot of other issues covered.

Comment

You mean the thief spawns, right? They are in a darkened area, in front of the keep. Its only an entrance, not an exit, and there is no reason for the guards to be in that area. Its going to be large enough that the thieves should reasonably be able to avoid any spawnrapers.

Oh, and to convert this into unreal units(UU) I went here, its 9600 x 4800 x 1920. Two football fields by one football field and a little higher than you can shoot a water rocket. 8) I am not going to actually USE all of that vertical room, a lot of it will be dirt or sky, but its the size of the level if I had to put it in a box.

Kiech
                Kiech

Comment

Oh, there will be MULITPLE entrances as well, if you were wondering. Trying to up the life expectancy of a thief to something above 2 min.
                  Kiech

Comment

Be careful about making the "roof" of your outdoor area too high. That can really kill a map.
                    (AKA Dresden)
                    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

I am thinking that too. I was planning to have to 'roof' accessable and put guards on the top of the watch towers, overseeing all. Instead I am going to lower it, and encase the watch towers.

Thanks,

Kiech
                      Kiech

Comment

That's odd. I thought How Long was the owner of the local Chinese Take Away resturant!
                        Black Cat Games
                        ThieveryUT
                        Alien Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by Cythe
                          That's odd. I thought How Long was the owner of the local Chinese Take Away resturant!
                          :lol: :lol:
                          "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
                          -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

But your avatar sucks!
                            JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                              But your avatar sucks!
                              How does it suck? That guy rocked in Office Space!
                              Kiech

Comment

Working...
                              X