Keys, Spawners, Music, Loot, and PlayerStarts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys, Spawners, Music, Loot, and PlayerStarts

I've saved up a few questions for anyone who can assist. Any help is appreciated.

1) I've got these TH-Doors set so that they are locked at game start and I've created custom SilverKeys which are spawned through Master/Slave spawners. So far so good. Problem is the keys don't open the doors they are set for. They are in the game, they have a HUD name and they move to the centre of the screen when r-clicked, but they won't unlock the doors. Truth is I'm a little confused by the instructions at Thieveryut's website;

'Keys with this keytag can unlock this door...'

Well, erm, TH-Doors have a 'keytag' blank space to enter something in, which I've put in a name for, but the custom keys I've created don't have that space. They have 'event' tags, yes. I've tried this - 'Key' tag = 'keytag' of TH-Door... Nada. Have I created a custom key correctly, perhaps? Again, I followed the sites instructions;
    Was I supposed to use a Th-NewObjective item? Or would a New Silver Key custom item be more appropriate?

Is there a setting I'm missing that's preventing my doors from being unlocked by my custom keys? The keys I've created are identical to the actual Silver keys actors in all their attributes/properties. What am I missing here?

2) How do you get a Slave/Master Spawner (or any Spawner for that matter) to repeat itself? Are Spawners limited to just spawning at the beginning of the game? Can I get my spawners to spawn loot, or whatever, multiple times during a game? By time or trigger? I've tried the trigger approach but can't get it to work. How about halfway through a game loot starts to respawn - or loot respawn every 5 minutes... Can this be done?

3a) My music is working, but it's randomly playing the tunes I've placed on my map at times that they are NOT triggered to play. I just want my music selections to play in certain locations. And as long as a player stays in that location the specific song will not change until he triggers another song by entering another part of the map. I have music events and triggers all set out, but it doesn't seem to make a difference - they just play whenever and whatever they want. Do music event triggers require ut-triggers and not T-triggers?

3b) How do you get a sound to not play continuously? I have sounds scattered throughout the map. When you enter their collision, you hear the sound, but it never stops. For example, the dogbark keeps barking and doesn't stfu. I'd like it so that the dog barks maybe once or twice then that's it...

4) Does anyone have an estimate of how much loot is required for a typical map when considering thief kills and loss of loot as game progresses? Say I want an objective of 3000 minimum loot; , how much is a good overall loot layout for the whole map in one game considering kills and losses? ex: 3000 min loot objective; 4000 loot possible throughout the entire map in given time limit of game. That's a 1000 in loot that can still give losing thieves a chance to come back from some bad gameplay... no? More? Less leeway? What do you think?

5) Currently when I play as guard on my map (by myself, just for testing) I spawn in the thief area. Am I using the wrong player starts or something? Does anyone understand what the differences are between the ThieveryBspawnpoint, ThieveryDspawnpoint, and ThieveryPspawnpoint? Should I be using them? Currently I'm just using playerstarts.

Thanks for your patience and help.
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

http://www.thieveryut.com/Mapping/index.htm

For 2) and 4):

No loot is lost during play, it respawns when a guard picks it up or a short while after it is dropped. What you should mostly be concerned about is how the amount of loot affects Guarding behaviour. If there is little leeway, then guards will sit down and camp a few major spots. If there is too much leeway the guards basically have to run around like crazy and check everything constantly (or just give up and guard the exits). You want the middle ground.

For 5), you need pathnodes before you can spawn as a guard correctly. And guardAI of course (you spawn into them) Just use PlayerStarts for thief spawns.
    Immortius' Forge

Comment

3a) If ya just want some ambient music assign it using the Zone actors

3b) There are settings for that in the Sound actors properties im sure. I just cant remember which and where

4) I think that really depends on your map. Focus on Objective items? Focus on loot? Hard to guard locations? Easy to guard locations? Big? Small and cramped? How many Thief lives? Can loot/objecitve items be rushed? Would loosing loot be a major setback/easily compensated? Scattered all over? Located at mostly one spot? Should two or more Thieves be able to collect the amount required independently or should reaching the loot goal require teamwork?

Shit i think i hardly qualify for answering Ued Questions anymore. Pleeze bring NB before i forget what "add" and "subtract" mean =d
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

1) In the Key properties there's a heading called ThPickupKeys -> keyTag. Set the name to what you entered in the keytag property of the door.

Comment

Hey, thanks all!

Immortius, thanks for the info. By 'Pathnodes', do you mean the little apples? I've been using Tpatrolpoints cause I seem to remember someone once saying, in a past post, that it's better to use just patrol points. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you think there's a difference? If not, I'll keep all the PP's, as it took a while to place them. If it is necessary to use the apples, then I'll do that instead.
          Thanks for the info on loot. Will be helpful.

Schleicher, thanks for that music info. Works now exactly the way I want, like a charm
          I think when the time comes, I'll just put the map out there and see how the players deal with the loot and all. Thanks though, your considerations are helpful.

Claymore, I'm gonna experiment with what you suggested tommorrow, will see what happens and report back. I may have made the mistake of not just creating my keys from 'keys' rather than the newobjectiveitem mentioned in the Tut. The NOI has no 'keytag' space.

Thanks all again!

Comment

T'is soooo sweet when something I do works. Thanks Claymore, it's a good day after all.

Comment

Pathnodes are the little apples as you say.

Not sure why why someone would want to use only Tpatrolpoints. Might get confusing when trying to distinquish bot patrols from general pathing (no way to discern between them). The Tpatrolpoints are used if you want a bot to patrol along a particular route. To UED, they are essentially pathnodes with additional functions. If you have a Tpatrolpoints at a location, you do not need a pathnode there too. Perhaps that is what they meant?
              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                Pathnodes are the little apples as you say.

Not sure why why someone would want to use only Tpatrolpoints. Might get confusing when trying to distinquish bot patrols from general pathing (no way to discern between them). The Tpatrolpoints are used if you want a bot to patrol along a particular route. To UED, they are essentially pathnodes with additional functions. If you have a Tpatrolpoints at a location, you do not need a pathnode there too. Perhaps that is what they meant?
                Ah, sorry, Thebos, missed your post.. Yea, I was a little foggy on the pathnode/Tpatrolpoints thing. Replacing some with Patrolpoints now. Shouldn't mess me up too much. Thanks .
                Last edited by SiLeNt_NiGhT; 6 Dec 2004, 01:49 AM. Reason: correction spelling

Comment

Based on your previous posts, I doubt this is an issue, but bring this up just in case:

When you say "Patrolpoints", I assume you mean the Thievery Specific "Tpatrolpoints"? Instead of the Unreal standard "Patrolpoints"?

I beleive the "Tpatrolpoints" are modified versions of Unreals "Patrolpoints." Per the thievery mapping information, Unreals patrolpoints do not work in thievery (at least as patrolpoints- the bots do not work with them as such due to the customized AI or something).
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

No worries, made THAT mistake long ago.. I'm for sure using T-Patrolpoints. They seem to work just as well as pathnodes too. But I'm probably not learn-ed of such stuff and their affects, so I'll take your word and keep some TPP's and replace most of them with PN's accordingly.

I'm struggling now with a new problem though. (what's new?) I've noticed that all of a sudden my map won't test (play) in the editor or through the game direct. Just today everything went dark on me. I have sound and everything is working - but I have just black screen... I've noticed my editor won't go back to rendering with D3D, it just uses software mode for rendering; all my map is there, but the actors are much darker and it's hard to tell when anything is selected/highlighted. None of the Theivery maps will play in the game, and none will play through the play button in the editor. I can edit like usual though with no problem. I just can't test my results.

Fortunately I'm almost done my map, or I'd be damn pissed...!

(Screw that! I am damn pissed! What timing I have! )

Comment

I wouldn't recommend trying to launch the map from the editor. Half of the time you just get a blank screen and then it spawns lots of windows and crashes.

Comment

Launching from the editor has never given me problems. Ever.
                        Except I can't get it to work under WindowsXP :/
                        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                          Launching from the editor has never given me problems. Ever.
                          Except I can't get it to work under WindowsXP :/
                          Yea, I've never had a problem launching from the editor either - 'tll yesterday.
                          Just finished reinstalling the whole shebang (p436,1.4, etc) because of the blackscreen on both the editor and game... Now I can't open any maps in the editor but I can now play my map in game, which isn't a bad thing, but I would like to get back to editing again.

Map plays well as is (in my inexperienced opinion, anyway) So I've lost my patience for today and have decided to release the thing for some feedback, etc.

So where do you deposit new beta-testable-workable-playable-maps these days? Anyone want to play test? I've noticed I can't access DP's site anymore, don't know what's up there. Any main site where I can upload my map for testing? Just for fun?

Comment

ToB has moved to www.endarkend.net.

You could put it up on Thievery Customs, could you not?
                            Nightmaster,
                            .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                            - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

i cpuldn't access the map download pages either. it's still linked to the old page.
                              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                              X