Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Jumping Distances in UnrealEd Units

Hey, all.

I've been playing Theivery since 1.2 came out and love the game in a way that's probably not legal in some places, but I'm brand new to this mapping thing. I've probably spent almost 48 hours total working in UnrealEd2 so far. I'm in the very early stages of building my first Thievery map. I've got one area layed out and am in the planning stages for the rest of the map. But I've got some questions that I haven't found any information about.

Does anyone here know the maximum jumping distances (in unreal ed units) for Thieves and Guards? Also is it different for each? It seems that Thieves run faster, so it would seem that they would jump further. But this is just speculation on my part. If so, what's the maximum jumping distance with a speed potion? And to make matters more complicated... does anyone know these same distances when doing it carrying a body?

You can probably tell that the map I'm planning has lots of jumping involved. And the goal involves stealing a certain enemy's corpse... so obviously I need to make the jumps do-able on the way out. And don't worry, it's not some Mario Bros. jumpfest, it's all going to make perfect sense within the plot-idea of the mission. Picture New Orleans style graveyards with above-ground mausoleums. Of course, this won't be the only way to travel the distance, but I want quality for all of my routes.

I'm also curious if anyone knows the vertical distances for jumping up onto things and for mantling up onto them. Also is this different for Guards and Thieves?

I want to make some of the jumps quite a risk, not damage wise, but falling into well lit walkways that are patrolled sort of danger.

Anyway... if anyone knows this stuff, I'd really appreciate the sharing of that knowledge. If I could have it when building my layout, it would save me a whole lot of tweaking, moving, and testing.

~Spook
    I stood among them, but not of them, in a shroud of thoughts which were not their thoughts.
    ~ Lord Byron

I don't know off hand but one simple quick way to find out would be to create a simple room(block)-starting from scratch in a new map... Then create an obstacle course with walls gradually growing higher in small UnrealEd increments. Then create some big holes in the floor again increasing in small increments. Another idea would be to create tunnels of varying size and depth. Then run the course under varying circumstances like you've described. It shoukldn't take long to create this mini course, maybe an hour. Don't forget to place a 'player start' in the map before you rebuild-all. Then test. Save this map for future reference.
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

I like it! I'll whip one of them up tonight or tomorrow night.

Thanx for the idea! I'll make sure to post a summary of my findings.

~Spook
      I stood among them, but not of them, in a shroud of thoughts which were not their thoughts.
      ~ Lord Byron

Comment

Okay... for anyone that cares... here are my numbers.

All distances are the same for Thieves and Guards even though Guards run slower so should jump less far. But as far as I could tell, they performed exactly the same other than run speed. I did all the sizing of my various pits, walls, and crawl-spaces in jumps of 4uu just avoid losing any more of my sanity. Because of this, my numbers may be slightly off from the actual limits.
        • Max. mantling height: 132uu [136 was possible but only very rarely]
          Max.horizontal jump w/o mantling on far side: 216uu
          Max.horizontal jump w/mantling on far side: 260uu
          Max.horizontal jump w/speed potion: In excess of 288uu. [stopped testing there]
          Min.vertical height to walk under: 100uu
          Min.vertical height to crawl under: 64uu
          Min.width for walkable narrow beam: 1uu [surprising!]

I also found out, quite painfully, that spiders seem to have no problem jumping up a 256uu tall wall to bite me in the ass.

~Spook
        ~ Lord Byron

Comment

Good Job!! (also, just to add on) there is a minimum 'width' a player can squeeze through; 64uu.....I think.
          ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
            -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
            -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
            -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Spook
              [list]
              Are you sure about this? I've made doorholes 64*96 in places... And I thought the crawlheight was 48... Really sure? If you are...

D A M M I T

Comment

Did you try jumping with a weapon drawn.

Thief carrying a sword is slowed down as is a guard wielding a mace.
                (But not guard wielding a sword)

Furthermore, speeds are tweaked in 1.3, so...
                Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by LegalAssassin
                  [list]
                  Are you sure about this? I've made doorholes 64*96 in places... And I thought the crawlheight was 48... Really sure? If you are...

D A M M I T
                  Yeah, I just went back and checked and redid my math. So I'm completely sure... unless I'm counting wrong or something. But seeing as I got the exact same results, I'm fairly certain that I'm not. I also added a crawlspace that was 48x48 and I definitely couldn't fit into it. That was really unfortunate because the 48 sized tunnels just look so much better than the 64 ones.

~Spook
                  ~ Lord Byron

Comment

Great stuff

Comment

btw if you're adding spiders to your map you can change the jump distance-on h2o (THE GREATEST MAP EVER ) my spiders started mantling up the walls :roll: untill I edited their jump pattern 8) and for anyone remotely interested my nice new map seems to have gone funny-every edit i make to it causes a bsp hole the size of 3/4 of the map oh well guess ill remake it sometime........
                      [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Originally posted by LegalAssassin
                        [list]

D A M M I T
                        Yeah, I just went back and checked and redid my math. So I'm completely sure... unless I'm counting wrong or something. But seeing as I got the exact same results, I'm fairly certain that I'm not. I also added a crawlspace that was 48x48 and I definitely couldn't fit into it. That was really unfortunate because the 48 sized tunnels just look so much better than the 64 ones.

~Spook
                        :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Comment

WHY DID THE TUT TEAM CHANGE THE SCALE? WHY?

I'M GOING MAD, MAD!

Comment

Normal house doorways should be about 128 UUs high anyway.
                            (AKA Dresden)
                            Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

There's a ledge in Asylum, in the crawlspace next to Big Greenie that sometimes as a guard or thief I cannot mantle up. Running-jump-mantles I think allow you to mantle higher things, but in this particular case there is no room to run. How tall is that ledge? I'd say don't make anything higher or as tall as that thing for mantling.

Weapons do slow you down. Mr. Spook should account for the slowest weapon with his numbers. Also, what's the maximum height you can fall before you take damage?

I'm not a mapper, but these numbers might be useful for others. Good job Mr. Spook!
                              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Working...
                              X