Ideas for maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for maps

Here are a couple of ideas for maps that I came up with. Use, disect, and criticize as you will, as I don't have the patience or the attention span to learn how to map.

Map 1, Th-Bank

This map starts out with the thieves spawning all inside a central vault inside a bank, with alarms blaring. Thieves objectives are to get a certain amount of loot and escape. Inside the central vault they spawn in there is exactly enough loot to meet the objective requirement. So, thieves can give it all to one person or spread it out. Also, if it's possible, it would be cool if there were say 4 central vaults and only 1 had the thief spawn and all the loot in that vault, and which one that was would change at random each map start. The map itself would have maybe 1/2 the required loot, all of it locked in strongboxes in the appropriate places (behind teller counters, in offices) except for the occasional forgetful clerk who left a strongbox's contents on his desk. Another 1/2 would be evenly (or close to it) divided up into other large vaults. There would be only one key to unlock these vaults. There would be 2 floors, the downstairs is mainly has teller booths, a few offices, a meeting room, a lobby, and the central vault located in the center. The downstairs has mostly carpet or granite flooring and is lit better than the upstairs with few torches. The upstairs will consist mostly of offices and a secutiry room (where the key is located). The upstairs will be lit slightly poorer than the downstairs, but has a lot more torches.

Map 2, Th-Battleground

Battleground is a war-torn nobleman's keep who was recently under siege and the nobleman was forced to flee. Now, it is occupied by the enemy, and the nobleman has sent his top agents to retrieve some of his belongings that he was unable to get before he retreated. The map consists of a wooded area outlining the map (if that's possible) with a dense canopy making it pitch black, the thieves spawn along the entire perimeter of this forest. Between the forest and the keep, there is a gap of open field. It is evening so being out in the open of this thieves are exposed, but they might hide in the shade of a tree or rubble. The field has outdoor extensions of the keep such as a garden or a pool (and maybe a secret entrance or two leading to the basement). The keep itself is nearly taller than it is wide, with many floors, a large basement, and a top palisade. The keep was recently under siege so there are many holes in the floors and walls. All the doors have been broken down, and the only light available inside are torches (which were hurridly set up by occupying forces only in key areas they would need light) and holes in the walls and ceiling casting an orange glow from the sunset sky. Many of the holes may have wooden beams broken down and sitting out of the hole (a good place for vine arrows to hit, so a thief skillful in the bow could scale his way all the way to the top palisade without going inside ). The hardest part for the thieves would really be getting past the field and inside the keep where, with a few water arrows, could get through the entire keep without leaving the shadows. The objectives are to gain back some items the previous owner was attatched to. i.e. some fancy clothes, a scepter, a rubber duckey etc. Also, a small amount of money is required to be stolen as the thieves need money for the trip back or some excuse like that. The money is only to be located in a room that one of the required items is located in. This is just so that the thieves dont just blitz the room and take the item, they would also need to grab a little loot too. One of the objectives could also be to go to the top palisade and look through a telescope mounted up there so they can locate enemy positions.

I just looked at the main page and battleground looks a lot like stronghold. oh well!

I like the bank idea, especially adding some strategy to the game by allowing the thieves to choose whether to spread the loot amongst thieves or not. Nice.
    No doubt inspired somewhat from First city trust level from thief? Oh, those marble floors!
    The keep is also interesting, although we'll have to wait and see what stronghold is like.
    I am *NOT* Michael Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPan
      No doubt inspired somewhat from First city trust level from thief? Oh, those marble floors!
      Why not have First City Trust? Top-down kids!

Marble floors :x

Comment

Bank: Thieves would win ALWAYS. All they have to do is buy as many speed and invisibility potions as they can and simply run past any guards they see. The only way to prevent that is if the thieves started somewhere inside the building (roof entrance or something), than had to get to 3 or 4 locations on the different edges of the map to get some keys or press buttons, than go back to the middle to loot the safes which are opened by the keys/buttons.

The Other One: I think you yourself have mentioned the #1 problem:

"The hardest part for the thieves would really be getting past the field and inside the keep where, with a few water arrows, could get through the entire keep without leaving the shadows."

Since I guess the guards would start inside, the field will be a non-issue, because by the time some guards get to the windows/doors, the thieves have already run across the field and got in. And once inside, they will be invincible. The possibility to make the entire place dark is just ridiculously unbalanced: look at any other map, you never have a single dark area larger than one room or corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowgrab
          Since I guess the guards would start inside, the field will be a non-issue, because by the time some guards get to the windows/doors, the thieves have already run across the field and got in. And once inside, they will be invincible. The possibility to make the entire place dark is just ridiculously unbalanced: look at any other map, you never have a single dark area larger than one room or corridor.
          Just because it's POSSIBLE to make an entire map completely dark doesn't mean it's going to happen. A thief with an all water arrow loadout can make Asylum almost completely dark, but you never see it.

Comment

good, tear my maps apart. :lol:

That's the point, just trying to give out ideas for someone else that's making a map.

Comment

I'd like to see someone remake that castle in that old Nintendo game "Shadowgate". :grin:
              (AKA Dresden)
              Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Working...
              X