X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to's. Animated objects and lighting/shadows. Help needed

Hi!

I need help on:

1. How do I make a simple 3D model, animate it and import it into Thievery?

2. Is it possible to create a zone/object that wherever it is, it "negates light"?
    Basically a moving shadow... is it possible? Would fog help?

Thx in advance,
    Kael
    "Nosce te ipsum et quies cortuum assequeris"

1: 3dsmax?

2: Think so... A zone with 0 in ambience lightning... And im sure there are some other setting that tells it to ignorer light... Not sure tough.
    "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody-Reaper
      2: Think so... A zone with 0 in ambience lightning... And im sure there are some other setting that tells it to ignorer light... Not sure tough.
      No, I think he meant something like an "anti-light-source" (actually making the surrounding area EFFECTIVELY darker, not just making everything LOOK darker). Ambient lighting will just have the same effect as reduced gamma correction in that area (generally). It won't affect shadows or visibility of thieves.

Unfortunately, I currently don't know of any easy ways of reducing the visibility of thieves. I guess you could always code an invisible actor that reduces the vsisibility of thieves when they collide with it (give it a wide collision cylinder). However, I don't know how easy that would be (I can't be arsed to do it myself).

Comment

For #2, I suppose you could use the "fake shadow with a mover" trick. But it will block light completly.
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody-Reaper
          1: 3dsmax?
          I know I can make a model in 3DS Max and animate it.... when I import it into UEd will it move? how is that handled?

Comment

Originally posted by Kael
            Hi!

2. Is it possible to create a zone/object that wherever it is, it "negates light"?
            I was thinking something more in the lines of....
            Imagine a relatively small fog/cloud of darkness that clings to an item and moves with it. It darkens everything in its "area of effect". So in practice.... light in that area has its brightness reduced? Is it possible?

Please tell me more about this.

Thx!

Comment

Hmm, an anti-light. Interesing idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kael
                I don't know too much about the engine, but I would suggest looking at flares. They appear to use dynamic lighting(like I wrote, don't know). Wouldn't something similar but with the dynamic lighting variable set to a negative number work?
                Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

You could try attaching a light to the object and making the light colour black... Never tried that before, but it might work.
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I've actually tried to get an anti-light irl, but it's too hard

Comment

Working...
                    X