Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physically Rotating Maps

Originally posted by Nachimir
    Hmm. The north-south axis of the map, well, it... runs from north to south. There's no way I can make the map much bigger unless I turn the whole thing ninety degrees in UED.
    I've pondered this many times. Most maps are oriented squarely N-E-S-W simply because its easier to build square rooms and align things easier this way. How hard is it to rotate the entire map by X degrees after you're done? I think it would add a bit of realism if the map weren't oriented squarely, but off by 30 degrees or something. Look outside your window. There are very few buildings and houses that are oriented on a N-E-S-W grid. Or can the compass be edited as a part of the map? Like, just turn the North on the compass elsewhere? De-calibrate it?

Also, back to my original thought, if it's easy to rotate large portions of the map, it would be neat to turn a finished wing by X degrees, then build off of that, then turn another section, so each area is in its own grid system. It would break the mold a little, and add a little more realism.

My 2 cents.
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Did the posts on the Breandor sketchmap get you thinking about this, perchance?

Comment

Hence the quote above, LR. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I made a new one.

But the idea's been in my head for several months.
      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Fine in theory, but UED cuts the BSP along x-y-z, i.e. N-S-E-W and up and down. Rotating it slightly is likely to play merry hell with the BSP, but I'd be interested to see the results

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
          Hence the quote above, LR. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I made a new one.
          Well, duh. Mark me down as having an unobservant day....

Comment

Nachimir wrote;

Fine in theory, but UED cuts the BSP along x-y-z, i.e. N-S-E-W and up and down. Rotating it slightly is likely to play merry hell with the BSP, but I'd be interested to see the results
            Actually, if and when I ever finish my map you will see what can happen when we rotate every God - forsaken - thing on our non-directional, non-linear, natural looking, maps. ops: Mine will be the example from which all mappers will learn what not to do. (But having said that, it will be playable and it will be fun.....damn it!)

And it will probably cost me my life. ( )

TH-Plateau Jumeau is multipolygonal, multi-angular, multi-levelled, and sometimes just outright bizarre in its non-linearness; Needless to say when I had 25% of my map done I attempted a rotation of the kind mentioned earlier for reasons I don't have time to go into here.... (which might explain why some of my map appears to be off grid by less than a uu. So far all is well but I have been fighting off BSP problems almost daily....yet I've succeeded in fighting them off as quickly as they appear as well, surprisingly.) Many of my buildings and major structures were built on angles other than 90 degrees, or 45, In fact there is much that covers almost every angle on the compass. Since I've been learning on this map I'm not too concerned. Imho, it looks quite nice.
            Anyhow, I guess what I'm trying to say is, "be vewy, vewy cairfuoow wen you wotate". :grin:

(oh, can't wait to play your new map Nachimir! Do you have any rough estimation as to when Breandor will be ready for download?)
            ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

First of, it's easier to navigate when the map is correctly aligned. Second of, im sure UED screws up when you try and turn the map... But maybe in 1.3 we could have a Compass actor that would affect it?
              "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Thats how it was done in Morrowind. All building interiors could only be built in 90 degree angles, so you would place a compass modifier that turned the minimap in the appopriate direction when you enter the building.
                (AKA Dresden)
                Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Working...
                X